INFORMATION ABOUT THIS CALL
For this call, the dates of availability in 2021 will be given as an indication. They will then be progressively refined according to the evolution of the health situation related to COVID-19.
I. Context and objectives of the call
The Laboratory of Excellence "Empirical Foundations of Linguistics" (LabEx EFL) is a 14-year project funded by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research (ANR-10-LABX-0083). It is based on a group of 11 research teams (CRLAO, HTL, Lacito, Lattice, LIPN, Llacan, LLF, LPP, INCC, CERMI, SeDyl) belonging to 4 partner institutions (Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Université de Paris, Université Sorbonne Paris Nord and Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (INALCO), in partnership with the Centre National de Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and the Institut de Recherche et Développement (IRD). It contributes to the IdEx University of Paris (ANR-18-IDEX-0001).
The Labex EFL aims to promote innovative interdisciplinary research between the different fields of linguistics and related disciplines, with a particular interest in empirical foundations (corpus analysis and experimental methods). As part of its "Training" component, the Labex EFL is launching its 9th call for applications for the EFL 2021 International Chair.
Under this call, up to five professors or researchers may be awarded a Labex EFL Chair during the year 2021. The recipients of the chair will be hosted by one of the Labex partner teams and will be able to take advantage of its environment. They will participate in the life of this team or of several Labex laboratories for the duration of their stay and may in particular be asked to exchange with Labex doctoral students. They will be accompanied by a sponsor who will guide them in the material and scientific organization of their stay.
II. Profile sought
The Labex EFL is looking for high-level professors or researchers with an international reputation, specialized in one of the following fields
- Phonetic complexity and phonology
- Experimental grammar in a comparative perspective of languages
- Typology of languages and dynamics of linguistic systems (diachrony, contact)
- Linguistic representations and processing throughout the life cycle
- Computational semantic analysis
- Language resources: lexicon, corpus, and tools
- Empirical methods in linguistics
- History and epistemology.
Wishing to spend 4 weeks in one of the Labex EFL partner teams, providing a weekly two-hour seminar, at doctoral level, on a research topic contributing significantly to the EFL project (http://www.labex-efl.com/). These seminars, which can be held in French or English, will be recorded and broadcast on the Labex EFL website.
The Labex will cover the travel expenses related to the visit of the visiting professor to France (economy class) and the latter will receive a fixed allowance for his or her participation in the Labex EFL chair.
III. Application :
- To be a professor or researcher posted abroad.
Selection criteria for applications
- Interest of the research projects contributing significantly to the EFL project
- quality and scientific visibility of the candidates
- balance and complementarity with the seminars of the EFL Chair. Documents to be provided in support of the application (written in French or English)
- A curriculum vitae with a list of publications
- A one-page summary of the proposed seminars (either a progressive course followed over several or a set of 4 distinct seminars)
- The dates of availability and the duration of the stay in Paris (4 weeks unless otherwise specified).
- The host research team and the name of the professor/researcher with whom the candidate wishes to be accompanied during his/her stay in Paris (and with whom he/she will have made contact before applying).
Professors available in 2021 must send their entire application file by June 7, 2020 (midnight, Paris time) to Christel Préterre, project manager of Labex EFL (email@example.com), with a copy to Emmanuel Cartier,
IV. Selection procedure
Applications will be examined by the Labex EFL management team and then selected by the Restricted Scientific Council during the month of June 2020. Applicants will be informed of the CSR's decision regarding their application by the Labex project manager.